PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 27th Jun 2012, 02:10
SAABGUY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day Global.

I've been reading the posts about Qatar and I get the feeling that you either work there or are knowledgable about the in and outs of the company.

I'm a turboprop captain working in Sydney. I like my job but I know I wanna get on a jet at some stage.

I interviewed in January 2012 and was told I had the job around march/April. I'm not in any hurry to leave my current job but an ex-colleague of mine who works for Qatar told me me that a mate of his who works in HR said my file is with HR, which apparently is a good sign. (I know my punctuation sux)!

I'm up for the FTSO position. My understanding is that whilst training I'm considered an SO for wage considerations but once checked I'll be a normal FO checked to line in the right seat. At this stage I'm up for the 320 which I think would be better than a heavy for me as I'll get more sectors/ TO's and landings.

Having command time on a turboprop lighter than than 15000 kg doesn't open many doors into jets. I know that there ain't to many operators out there that want me in the right seat of one of there jets (except for maybe Kazakhstan air!!).

I guess what I wanna know from you is what you think of the company, I know there is short comings when it comes to the training backlog. Do you find that the wage, Accomodation allotment etc is fair and equitable for a good standard of living?

A mate of mine is over there now and he's only just starting his training after three months. I know that it's par for the course, but I would rather stay here and work until my start date and then go over. With proper communication with management thru emails, do you reckon it'd be possible to organize sim dates so that I could stay here, work and then head over a month ahead of time?

Anyway, I've rambled for long enough, I hope you can answer some of my questions.

Regards.

PS I hope I haven't come across as one of the blokes who expect the world, I'm just trying to organize and educate myself the best I can so that I can try to have a seamless transition!! (if that's possible with Qatar!! Haha)