PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airfields that ban some of us, plus the "no fees for safety diversions" scheme
Old 26th Jun 2012, 22:01
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Airfields that ban some of us, plus the "no fees for safety diversions" scheme

A bit of a "name and shame" effort, and a bit of a public information thing on my part.

What precipitated this was that I was flying a flexwing microlight the other day in the midlands, when my comms system decided to go t**s-up; so deciding that being close to controlled airspace and unable to talk to my pax who was presumably wondering what the heck was going on, I should divert to the nearest GA airfield and sort it out on the ground.

So I slotted into the circuit at Tatenhill, which I did not have details for but could see on the chart nearby, and landed.

Securing the aeroplane (it was rather windy and I was NOT leaving it alone until firmly tied down) I met a duty jobsworth storming out looking somewhat red in the face who confronted me with "The BOOK says that this airfield does not accept flexwing microlights, and does not accept non-radio arrivals". Telling him that I'd had a comms failure simply precipitated demands to remove myself and my aircraft as quickly as possible, and a £12 landing fee.

So, who are the, well, less friendly, airfields we all know of? Offhand I can offer:-

Bans flexwings
Tatenhill
Turweston
Thruxton

No free emergency diversions
Tatenhill (despite AOPA claiming they do)

Bans "Group A"
London Colney

Bans powered
Lasham ("except on gliding business")

G