PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing on the numbers
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2012, 18:19
GeeWhizz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had "interesting" flights with guys who didn't seem to have any consistent technique for putting the aeroplane down and sort of relied on getting it over the end of the runway at various speeds/heights/attitudes, then accepting whatever happened in terms of touchdown point or runway used. I do wonder whether they got like that over time or whether they were *ever* taught to do it properly...
You've been watching (laughing at) my landings

In all seriousness I like to touch down on the numbers regardless of runway length. There are many things that we can take into account such taxiway exit distances, excess rubber on the runway, and whatever but for our usual small aeroplanes I don't think it makes much difference.

Being able to put the aeroplane where you want it is what counts. So touching down on the numbers every time becomes more of a personal challenge whether its a short wet grass runway, or a gazillion mile long stretch of asphalt. I think I'm lucky in that for a runway to be 'short' in my mind it has to be less than 400m and wet grass - keeps it exciting too