PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRI vs FI Privelages?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2012, 17:41
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by mad_jock
We are not talking about an expired license we are talking about an expired class rating.

I would also say that an expired license still means you would be a license holder for example a pilot holding a life CAA PPL would still be deemed to hold a license after 40 years not flying.

Also if the pilot held a license with another class rating such a one of the put-put glider ratings then they would also be able to do the training for SEP class rating to be issued.

The CRI is a very powerful rating with minimal training/experence requirements and also with minimal experence requirments for keeping it valid. Personally I am suprised there are not more of them out there in groups and clubs. They usally have a far broader experence base in aircraft types and have real experence compared to the usual zero to heros.

Since they are have been around there has been no indication that accidents have increased, I haven't seen one yet thats been involved in an accident. It would be interesting to know the hours flown as CRI V hours as a FI to see if the statitics back up my feeling that they are at the same risk as FI's who are meant to better trained because they have CPL knowledge.
I don't think that there are all that many of us as yet, and I don't see the numbers increasing much. The well regarded FIC school where I did mine had had one previously who had failed - and I only know one other CRI personally.

However, I and the other CRI I know have lifetime experiences of aviation, and a couple of degrees in aeronautics each, plus 4-figure hours, so probably rather more than many new CPLs have.

Also the standards of the CRI test that I had to pass seemed similar to, or higher than, what I needed to pass my CPL. So I really do not see this as a shortcut to allow inexperienced PPLs to become instructors: I just don't believe that this is happening, or is at-all likely to happen.

One thing has come up for me however, which is the "solo issue". I recently trained a microlight + glider pilot for his NPPL(SSEA). There could, arguably, have been benefits in sending my student solo for some solo circuits or a local flight. I discussed this with the CFI of the school I was teaching in, and we agreed that if this seemed a good idea we'd do it on his licence with his authorisation, although we never did (and he did get a good first time pass).

But similarly, before signing off somebody's tailwheel differences it would be nice to send them off for a few solo circuits before finishing off. Freelancing however, it's simply not possibly on my licence - so I just have to sign them off when ready and fly with them until then. Not perfect, but workable.

G