PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Lesson - Should it be like this?
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2001, 15:26
Bunty Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Red hot amateur,

Know exactly how you felt. As everyone has already pointed out, it's not an uncommon feeling for the first couple of flights. However, by te time you've had a couple more hours you'll be delighted at every little aspect that had previously made your stomach do a runner. Last lesson I had was supposed to be doing the whole straight and level thing, but with rain clouds at about 2200 it was a little less than either. I had to stiffle a laugh as my instructor said "now that you've got straight and level..." and the poor wee tomahawk got thrown about, completely off level. If that had been my first lesson I can gaurantee that I'd be papping myself, but I actually really enjoyed it.
Anyway, The morale of the story is, confidence comes with experience. As for the landing stuff being talked about, should it not be up to your instructor to see if he thinks you have good enough control over the plane? He might also prefer to go through the aspects of flight first. I've not done a landing yet, although I've set up a couple of approaches. My instructor usually takes over just before we kiss the tarmac. Probably so that we do kiss the tarmac, rather than head-butt it. Not bothered though, I'll get my chance soon enough.

Bunty