PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2012, 23:07
Rico 25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@lilflyboy-thanks for update. Good thing N.L. left Maun-at least there's one less snake in Botswana!

@redwingUH- firstly I'd like to say at 36 years you are still not too old to become a bushpilot - I was actually the same age as you back in 2009 when I came to Botswana. Most of the guys (and a few gals) are about 25 years average but your age shouldn't be a concern at the moment.
If you are after a lifestyle change then you will certainly find it here in the Okovango Delta/ Maun although you will need to come here with your fiancee to have a look around to see if you both will like it. Maun is a very small town/ village that has the usual essentials such as internet, mobile phone network, supermarkets etc. but it is also lacking the little luxuries such as latest magazines, DVDs/ music CDs and that kind of thing unless you can get them from other pilots. As regards finding a job for your lady- there aren't really too many jobs for graphic designers in Maun so that could be a problem.

Your experience with flying single engined piston aircraft seems suitable although there isn't much instrument flying in the Okovango Delta- mostly VFR ,however, there are times that it can save your life if you inadvertently stray into cloud.

If you do decide to come you should budget for a few months stay in order to get a job and also to complete training/ go online/ get work permit etc.

Regards,

Rico 25