PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing on the numbers
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2012, 19:56
Spitoon

It's a long time since I learned to fly but I remember following the PAPI (OK, it was only an AVASI where I learned but the principle remains) which took you to a nominal touchdown point. I also learned how to put the darned thing where I wanted if I didn't have the luxury of visual approach aids or nice runway markings. In the latter case I was taught to aim at a point some distance along the runway if it was possible. One particular instructor took great pleasure in pointing out to me - just after the beast had rather surprisingly dropped out of the sky as I crossed the threshold in some dodgy wind, well that's my story - that touching down a little earlier than expected was far less embarrassing if there was some runway under you than if one was trying to be an ace by plonking it on the numbers.

I've also spent many years as a controller watching aeroplanes landing on 'my' runway generally touching down in the touchdown zone....which I guess is how it got its name. This broadly applied to both big and little aeroplanes.

I'm not trying to say that anyone is wrong, but it surprises me that it's not been mentioned so far. Nor am I suggesting that any pilot should not land on the numbers if it is necessary - or know how to do so - but surely it isn't something that should be normal practise.

Or have I misunderstood something?