PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Corporate Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2012, 18:31
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boeing 737-259 VR-BEG at Dublin on 29th June 1985 (Photo: Ken Meegan)

Had several encounters with this craft during the early 80's. The last time I saw her must have been 1980-ish at Shannon Airport. At the time my godfather was personal helicopter pilot to the Irish race horse trainer Vincent O'Brien and, when on school holidays, I would come over to the Emerald Isle and accompany him on his tasks about the island.

One day we were tasked to collect a 'VIP' (they were all VIP's mind you) at Shannon. The passenger was Stavros Niarchos the shipping magnate also known as the 'Golden Greek'! Stavros was the man behind the development of the world's first 'super tankers'.

My godfather insisted that I wear a suit, don highly polished shoes and wear white gloves when I accompanied him on his work (despite the fact that I was just a wee lad) - and so I sprang into action after the immigration boys left the craft.

Stavros sauntered down the Boeing's steps whereupon I opened the door to the running helicopter and strapped him in. He was clearly impressed that the job was being done by a young teenager and stuffed a $100 bill in my hand (and which was a reasonable tip for 1980) before I closed the door with a broad smile on my face.

But .. $100 tip wasn't the highlight of the day .. but spending the entire day aboard the 'Beggar' (VR-BEG) was! In 1980 it wasn't common to see a 737 with a full bedroom and shower and so the tour round the craft was fascinating.

I spent most of the day with the stewards (all of them from Greece) who remained on-board and never entered the terminal. They prepared a superb (I should say exquisite) lunch for me and we played cards in the lounge and then watched a video (on betamax I think).

The air crew were Brits but had gone to the terminal for lunch and flight planning. I think they re-positioned to Dublin prior to flying to Kentucky the following day where Stavros had more horses.

The 737 was fitted with long-range tanks and which I guess were fitted inboard as opposed to some structural change around the bottom of the wing.

A beautiful craft with a lovely crew owned by a wonderful man.

Fond memories indeed!