PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire crash landing in Scotland WW11
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2012, 17:03
El Grifo

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Nope, nothing ! Despite the father of the visitor to my shop and the alleged pilot, promising to come back to me with clarification after lent (man of the cloth you see) I have heard nothing.

I emailed him again asking if he was now in a quieter period and if so could we pick up where we left off. Up until now, nada !!

I can only assume there is some kind of family issue here, something that he does not want to share.

Sad really because this is trully a mystery that I would like to solve. I have carried it for many years !

Thanks
El G.

Edited to add :-

Personally I think Skwinty has cracked it based on the fact that a Norwegian pilot was reported locally to have crash landed in almost I identical circumstances at the exact same location and walked from the wreck :-

I think that Harold A Raasch was groundcrew for 40 squadron, 6th bomber group and spent some time in a POW camp.

At this POW camp he met the pilot of the crash landed aircraft. They developed a lasting friendship due to some act of kindess or life saving action.

The pilot relates the crashlanding to Raasch and some significance to this event is implied.

After the war, the pilot died and Raasch travels annually to the crash site in remembrance of the pilot and their war experience.

Raasch found it easier to say that he was the pilot and thus not have a long emotional story to tell. On his visit to El Grifo he finds out that the whole town is abuzz with his story and would rather discretely withdraw.

Last edited by El Grifo; 25th Jun 2012 at 17:07.