PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobo and CPU recommendation, please
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2012, 16:07
Spitoon

XV105, it sounds like you are doing much the same with you 'puter as I do. I've been building my own machines for many years and in recent years I've found that an Intel/Asus combination has served me well.

Generally it's been a very reliable mix although on one occasion the mobo failed and I needed the machine up and running quickly. The only replacement I could get hold of at short notice was a Gigabyte model of a nominally similar spec. Despite spending an awful lot of time tweaking everything I could find, it was a noticeably poorer performer than the old ASUS board. It was a great surprise to me that the mobo could make such a significant difference and I eventually wen't back to my tried and tested solution. Of course, there may be other manufacturers' kit or other ASUS models which would have been even better performers...but I guess I'll never know.

As others have pointed out, there are a number of good resources out there, particularly when it comes to video editing, where you can find a few good tips in addition to around twice as many opinions as there are contributors!