PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Underslung Load 'Incidents'
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2012, 10:50
Shackman

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
To end with - my very first SH task after Sqn acceptance, on Whirlwinds in Cyprus. Go to DANCON, troops and resupply the various OPs along the ceasefire line, just after the invasion. Arrive with half full fuel tanks, OAT in the mid 30's, first task is to take USL of water jerrycans from camp up to OP. I look at my kneepad quick planning guide, and say we can take 'x' number in the net; my very experienced crewman says 'Don't worry, done this lots of times - we can take 'x+50%' in the net - you'll have plenty of power'. So think 'he knows what he's doing' and off we go.

At this point I should add the LS is quite small, surrounded by fig trees and only one way out - up a small valley, as the Turks would not allow us to go the other way, towards the coast. Now add in a sea breeze which always set in early. Most of you by now know where this is going!

So, my first 'real' load is now attached, and I pull in power - the aircraft immediately centres itself over the load, but does little else. Crewman encourages me to 'pull a little more', so foolishly I did - at which point the sea breeze (from behind) dies, and we lift about 5ft, and start a transition. However there is now the problem of the trees waiting to catch us - not to worry, the load is so heavy it just goes straight through the first one, but unfortunately this sets up a good fore and aft swing. Going forward is great - the aircraft accelerates (a little), then it swings back and all speed is lost, and we sink back towards the ground. This goes on for two or three more swings as I now try to fly between the trees in front of me, whilst looking at the rising ground ahead. Jettison - never even thought of it! Crewman meanwhile is strapping in tightly, doesn't say a thing. Eventually I did reach translational lift and gently climb away from the ground. We drop the load at the OP, return to Kokkina and shutdown for 'small discussion'.

He had assumed I was low on fuel (as all the other experienced pilots would have been), I assumed he knew what he was talking about. I will let you all draw your own conclusions. Needless to say I always double checked my own calculations afterwards - it's not always helped when the loads don't match the advertised weights, but it has saved me embarrassment at other times!