PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA ATP - post your questions here.
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2012, 08:14
chimbu warrior

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts
Well I am not the expert, but am fairly certain you will need a checkride for your ATP. It is not just a case of passing the written and then completing the paperwork.

See below

Section 61.157: Flight proficiency.
requirements of this section for the issuance of an airline transport pilot certificate and/or the appropriate aircraft rating:

(i) A proficiency check under 121.441 of this chapter.

(ii) Both a competency check under 135.293(a)(2) and 135.293(b) of this chapter and pilot-in-command instrument proficiency check under 135.297 of this chapter.

(iii) Both a competency check under 91.1065 of this chapter and a pilot-in-command instrument proficiency check under 91.1069 of this chapter.

(2) The checks specified in paragraph (f)(1) of this section must be conducted by one of the following:

(i) An FAA Aviation Safety Inspector.

(ii) An Aircrew Program Designee who is authorized to perform proficiency and/or competency checks for the air carrier whose approved training program has been satisfactorily completed by the pilot applicant.

(iii) A Training Center Evaluator with appropriate certification authority who is also authorized to perform the portions of the competency and/or proficiency checks required by paragraph (f)(1) of this section for the air carrier whose approved training program has been satisfactorily completed by the pilot applicant.
It is the same with your type rating/s. As far as I know, you cannot just take a checkride for the type rating; you must provide proof of completion of an FAA-approved course (there are abbreviated courses available at some of the larger TRTO's).

As I say, I am no expert, but this has been my understanding.