PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2012, 06:18
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
Then the LO at CAOC 5 in Vicenza (as it was) must have been telling "stories" to the General. i seem to remember the storyteller saying that if it got too hot in the summer whilst in a 2 bomb SCL, the aircraft could not land back on?

On the subject of MiG 29, here it is from one of your own:

At the time of the events described the Sea Harrier FRS1 was awaiting replacement by the FA2 mark, and was in many ways obsolescent. This showed in many ways, from the extraordinary multi-tasking required of the pilot of a single-seat aircraft with no auto-pilot - there is Richardson trying to fold his map with one hand and fly through turbulence with the other - and in its radar and weapons system, massively inferior in range and capability to its potential opponent over Bosnia, the MiG-29 Fulcrum with its Doppler radar. On the way to war 801 were able to sidestep to Decimomannu in Sardinia for much needed steep dive training, where there was also an opportunity to practice against German MiG-29s inherited from the DDR. The Sea Harrier FRS1’s deficiencies became blindingly obvious.
I know it was a long time ago now, but I can remember some bad times for RN aviation during those times...

LJ

Last edited by Lima Juliet; 25th Jun 2012 at 06:19.