PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Purchasing and operating an aircraft under a company
Old 25th Jun 2012, 01:09
tail wheel

Received 225 Likes on 120 Posts
Oh come now, Tailwheel - you and I both know that pilots are financial geniuses!

How many pilots have I heard over the past fifty years tell me they want to buy an aircraft to reduce their travel costs, build hours etc. I've heard all the usual dreamer stories.

What are the advantages/implications and disadvantages of purchasing and operating an aircraft........
In fifty years I am yet to find one financial advantage of aircraft ownership, and I've owned six aircraft, five yachts and four sports cars (including my present E Type Jaguar), the rest of my money I spent foolishly!

If it flies, floats or fornicates, rent, don't buy!

Aircraft ownership is only for those who can afford the luxury.

Does any one know of any (Cessna 180) that might be sitting in the back of hangars not going any where for a while and needs some TLC?
I'm yet to find any aircraft that benefits from "TLC"! If an aircraft is "not going anywhere" the only thing that aircraft benefits from is never ending buckets of cold, hard cash! There is probably no change out of at least a hundred grand to restore a "dead" C180, C182 or C185 and timex engine and prop!

Before anyone even thinks about acquiring and operating an aircraft, ask Skywagon1915, Chimbu Chuck, FTDK, Jaba etc what are the real costs of owning, operating and properly maintaining an aircraft.

Why invest in aircraft when I have an iconic bridge for sale, with excellent Sydney Harbour views, very cheap this week!

Penniless dreamers and aircraft don't mix.