PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lets inject some life into this forum!
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2002, 16:53
DX Wombat

Location: The Burrow, N53:48:02 W1:48:57, The Tin Tent - EGBS, EGBO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

5th, you obviously get your HOs straight from Uni so why do you expect them to be all-knowing? We get ours after they have been let lose onthe general publce for a year or two but they still need help. Changing jobs with the regularity that new drs do is a daunting prospect, no sooner do they get used to the system in one place than they have to learn a new one for the next job. We all have to start somewhere and there is much which it is not possible to practise in pre-registration training and much to be learned afterwards. If there were not, there would be no need for further training. All the above comments also apply to newly registered nurses. Learning is, or should be, lifelong in medicine and nursing. Your comments about Drs not knowing how to catheterise a patient are unfair - didn't you ever have to be shown? I did. As for the remarks about not knowing the dose and diluent for Diamorphine, words fail me. Do you not have Ward Guidelines and Protocols? We do. They are there to protect the patients and the staff alike. If you do not have any guidelines or protocols I suggest you get some sorted pretty quickly. It may be a tiresome task but if it saves one life it will have been worth it and it will save many frayed tempers if the new Dr is shown where they are and how to use them. Nobody is born perfect and all-knowing so just take a deep breath and remember what it was like when you first started and how you felt - frightening wasn't it - all that responsibility? Ease up a little and be helpful it will work wonders.