PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I stop flying?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2012, 17:18
BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES

Location: the OFCR......and probably somewhere over China zzzzzzzz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hannah, the FTO you chose DOES make a difference to your employment opportunities. Typically recruiters take 15-30 seconds to look at a CV. If pilots are involved they typically look for your FTO first.

Get yourself on the BA FPP or Flybe Part sponsored schemes.

Above all, do you really want to be training during a downturn and potential end to the euro zone. Should the euro implode, there will be a lot of pain around the corner. But guesses are guesses, and the euro world could hold on and survive.

I personally would not do any CPL/IR integrated training unless with the backing of an airline (pre-selected). If you go modular, some airlines will not look at you.

Don't base your decision on the statistics of an exceptional previous decade. The last 10 years will not repeat themselves. The Spanish and other European markets are contracting, putting established carriers under strain. IMHO there is more pain for the industry to be had before things get better.

I don't wish to try and be negative towards your aspirations, merely advise you that time is in your side, and you can do a lot to place yourself in a good position for the elusive 'upturn'.

Leeds uni(?) Does an aviation studies course with ppl/pilot studies included. A contact of mine does recruitment and tells me they receive a high standard of candidate from there. Yes it costs to go into higher education. Another option is to work for an FBO or school in ops etc, lots of long hours, hard work, cleaning aircraft etc, but it doesn't half show determination! That counts for a lot with preselects on schemes.

As to the original question. Only YOU know the answer to that. If YOU have the finances( or plan) to complete training, and the PASSION to keep on going, only YOU will make it happen. Whilst mum/dad will be a lot wiser than you, only YOU know how much you want this. So the decision as to continue or not rest ONLY with YOU. Good luck.

Last edited by BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES; 24th Jun 2012 at 17:22. Reason: A thought popped into my head