PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2012, 17:04
Danny42C

Welcome, Taphappy !

Taphappy,

You're as welcome as the flowers in Spring! Come on into our virtual crewroom, coffee's on the brew - help yourself (3d in the jar, please!).

Seriously you're what we've been waiting for since Reg and Cliff died recently (requiescant in pace). "Now You shall stand / At my right hand / And keep the Bridge with Me". (We still need another chap for the other side, but two
will do very well for the time being).

I suggest we Post alternately from now on, each time waiting a day or so for the fall-out before the other chips in. Suggest? You're two years junior to me ! It's an order ! Your turn first, now!

For the benefit of our younger members, perhaps I should explain that ale once came in wooden barrels (not metal casks); the cellarman "tapped and spiled" the barrel, ie stood it on end, removed the "bung" and put in the "tap" (the "spile" was a small tapered wedge driven into a hole drilled in the barrel so that when the barrel was "put up" on its side, the tap would be "at six o'clock" to draw the beer, the "spile" at "twelve", midway on top. It was loosened to admit air, removed to funnel in ale slops (what the eye doesn't see.........) or to dip to see what was left. Barrel empty; hammer in spile, saw off flush with barrel; take out tap, put back bung; back on dray lorry. (sorry, Mr Moderator)

Now we can interpret "Taphappy" (I'm sure it's not true).

I'm bursting with questions, but will just ask: did you get away with your lapel badge? How long did you stay on deferred service?

In keen anticipation,

Danny42C