PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go-around after engine failure in light twin
Old 28th Dec 2002, 16:15
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rumbo
Most of the people here just have not got the pictue yet and it is simple......A light twin will NOT go around from ILS minimums on one engine if you try you will crash if you are lucky it will be a soft crash onto the flat ground near the runway if not it will be an object that you cant clear because you cant clean up the aircraft and pick up speed or as you try to climb the speed drops off and you go below Vmca roll on your back and hit the ground inverted.

So this having been said you have to pick a height at which you can clean the aircraft up while trading height for speed and then climb away at blue line speed this height is not likley to be much below 600ft AGL (for pilots new to twins) now that is about 350 ft above an ILS DH so if you have a cloud base below 600ft then you are landing at the wrong airfield.

Think about this hard guys with an engine not working you lose about 80% of the aircrafts performance.
I am sure that the CAA dont expect you to go around from ILS DH with one engine (simulated ) out because they know the aircraft wont do it and they value there lives to much ,the CAA may seem daft some times but they are not stupid !.

From my IR test I remember that the engine was failed on the go around from an ILS and once the aircraft was clean ,the single engine approach was an NDB with a MDH of about 450 ft ,not a lot of room to play with but workable for those of you who are in practice.