PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2012, 14:31
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Giving them AoA or a HUD would, in my opinion, be like giving a monkey an Ipad.
AF447's crew needed to have their attention drawn initially to their altitude and then to their pitch attitude. Later, they needed to understand their angle of attack, and finally they needed to understand their Flight Path Vector and the fact that it was pointed at the ground although the nose was pointed up.

I think we (collectively) can figure out ways to draw attention to a particular indication when computers recognize abnormal operation. What we might do to help pilots in general and automation dependent pilots in particular is have another system that helps direct their attention to crucial parameters that need correction. This could be a highly engineered system with the wisdom of a generation of 'old hand' pilots, built into its software. It would monitor the data bus on a modern aircraft and offer subtle cues (or even stronger ones) that would draw attention to out of tolerance parameters to enhance situational awareness.

To those who cry-No, not another %*(#@& system, I say that we are already marching down the automation road, and there is no turning back. Let us at least learn how to make automation more human friendly.

There is no sense in allowing the strong, silent partner in the cockpit to be unable to communicate key information.