PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best App for GA Pilots
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2012, 10:20
funkydreadlocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bit of both worlds

I'm a bit for both. I think it's CRITICAL to build up on "old" skills with old tech, and that you should probably be working on that for pretty much the whole of your hour building.

However, I'm a big fan of apps and I would probably use them at some point if I could afford it (my training has been a huge investment on the behalf of my loving family). But I would definitely not use these apps during hour building.

Try using them on a planned cross country flight on a very basic, home computer simulator. The more advanced the better, but X-plane 9 on your macbook pro and a basic joystick with a twist action for rudder will do the trick. Train your app uses there! We don't use home simulators to develop stick and rudder skills, we use them for fun and to develop specific skills. See what it's like there, and learn your mistakes at home on you computer, rather than in the air.

Remember that the old guys have experience, especially those who work commercially, and if they say that VFR navigation is some of the best flying you will ever do then I believe them. It's very difficult and not that enjoyable to carry out a VFR flight on sim. Therefore ask around, like you did here, and experiment. After all, Rod Machado said that experimenting and learning from these experiments to formulate a reliable hypothesis is the key to improve as a pilot.

I guess I'm worried about us young guys who want to delve into the new technology straight away, and annoyed at the older guys who don't want to move ahead with time. Aviation is a constantly changing practice, and just like doctors, we have to stay on top of our game, which is why I don't like the attitude that SOME of them adopt.

I think you have the right attitude, but perhaps didn't inform yourself too thoroughly before going ahead. I'm not saying don't get the apps, I'm saying, ask around, especially younger and middle aged instructors. Preparation is key. remember the seven Ps, Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance (gotta love the SAS).

Hopefully I'll be able to do the same as you one day!! good luck!