PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRS in a twin
Thread: BRS in a twin
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2012, 09:07
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
007Heli

But then that is a reflection of the training not being good. A forced landing is not difficult for a properly trained and competant pilot. As long as you keep flying and land into wind the chances of killing yourself even if you hit something are small.

I am not opposed to the chute at all. It is a safety option but it is an option.
I have heard two forced landings on the radio in the past in both cases the pilots were discovered standing near the undamaged aircraft in a field.
Pull the chute and you destroy the airframe.

I would love a Cirrus! and the Chute. As we get older we become more cautious and aware of our own vulnerability especially if we carry people we love who we know would not stand a chance if we are incapacitated.
The chute would be a big bonus.

For me the governing rule should be is the aircraft safely flyable?
There are situations where I would pull the chute in the event of an engine failure over inhospitable terrain!

We all know the rules re engine failure over built up areas ie at a hight where we can glide clear!

Once you pull that chute you no longer have control over where it comes down.

The descent rate and impact is not a gentle thing and if it comes down on top of somebody it is you who have to live with the fact especially knowing you had perfectly tried and tested alternatives open to you.

You admit to being low time and having little confidence in pulling off a successful forced landing.

I would thoughly suggest you get a good instructor and sort that out so the chute becomes an option and not an answer to all which it is not!!

Pace