PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRS in a twin
Thread: BRS in a twin
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2012, 07:21
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you are suggesting is absolutely NO different to suggesting all PPLs carry and wear a parachute in a Cessna 150.
In the event of an engine failure
Pace I think that is chalk and cheese to what we are talking about and a ridiculous comparison.

1) So I have my family in a Cessna say 172 and we are all going to jump out taking 2-4 minutes at least, I do not think so.

2) The aircraft would be then a relatively high speed lump of debris randomly impacting anywhere full of fuel and likely to explode.

No I do not think anyone is suggesting that and it would be madness and no one is suggesting writing to the CAA with this as a viable alternative.

It appears a difficult concept using BRS for most pilots to accept because for ever they / we have been trained to land in a field as the only available option to them was to land in a field.

Most do not have BRS available to them so discard it as a gimmick or a cop out of being the captain in command.

In the Cirrus their is a choice and a viable alternative. Due to its higher stall speed (than most spam cans) and small wheels that are not very good off road creating a bigger chance of flipping and kart wheeling I prefer to a pre planned decision that unless I have a known or virtually guaranteed suitable landing surface I will use the chute.

This has nothing to do with what I or anyone else would choose to do in a non equipped BRS because they do not have the option.

Last edited by 007helicopter; 24th Jun 2012 at 08:24.