PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRS in a twin
Thread: BRS in a twin
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2012, 23:46
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuji

What you are suggesting is absolutely NO different to suggesting all PPLs carry and wear a parachute in a Cessna 150.
In the event of an engine failure forget forced landings or PFLs and instead make it policy to bail out and leave the aircraft to its own devices to crash wherever! There is absolutely no difference to pulling the chute on a perfectly flyable Cirrus aircraft! Its madness.

When I had my forced landing into a field it was much publiced in the press.
I was a new PPL, 25 plus years ago fresh out of car racing and a bit of a hot shot.
I ended up descending rapidly from 10000 feet to my home airfield as I could not afford the flight and was trying to make a straight in to save money.
Realising with no experience I could not make it I decided instead to impress everyone with a low pass and pull up.
I pulled up but with nothing from the engine and took to a field.
Over the hedge at 70 kts in a PA28 my passenger freaked out pulled the door open and tried to jump out!
The aircraft touched down just as I grabbed his jumper and he went out onto the wing with me in tow as I was scared he would break his kneck.
We ended up bouncing down the field with no one at the controls.
I could not hold him and let him go.
By the time I got back onto the brakes too late I took out a hedge which conceiled a chopped off tree stump which sliced through the wing.
Perfect landing and touch down into the field shame about the interuption.
So all that time back then no experience.
But what you are suggesting could mean taking out someone on the ground and making a perfectly flyable aircraft into one which is not.
Write to the CAA and suggest training changes, abolition of PFLs and requirement of all students to wear parachutes. New procedure? Bail out on engine failure! There is no difference to what you are suggesting.
Any Parachute is an escape route from an aircraft which is unflyable not from one which has just turned into a glider.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 24th Jun 2012 at 00:11.