PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air North Brasilia Crash in Darwin (Merged)
Old 23rd Jun 2012, 23:18
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I'm curious

I find I am once again forced to read between the lines of an ATSB report. Technically it's spot on; for example, reading the time line analysis, there is a temptation to question the rudder v aileron input, however this is clearly resolved in the computer simulation graphics. Not having operated a Braz – there are a couple of points of interest which perhaps can be explained by someone who has.
Disengage ?? –could this refer to the Flight Director or is it the Yaw Damper ?. I note the AFM mentions –(paraphrased) FD Before take off (SET), expanded to PF select GA and check 7° pitch up; and, that the AP or YD may not be engaged during TOFF and LAND manoeuvres.

Has it been SOP for the PF to engage the YD as part of an EFATO or was this a recent innovation ?.

The V1, Vr and V2, V2 +10, etc. schedule. The AFM seems to be clear about the speed schedule and the acceleration to V2 +, then flaps up then Vfs (paraphrased). There appears to be a deliberate reduction from V2 + 4 (at – 23 seconds) to V2 (at -20.7 seconds). Is this a norm for the type or a new innovation ?.

Is the un monitored management of the OE, the over torque (124%) and the corresponding rudder/aileron excursions normal for the airborne exercise being conducted ?.

It is suggested by the ATSB final analysis that the BASI recommendations made after an investigation into the Flight Idle v Zero thrust (auto feather) scenario have been ignored. There is much documented proof that CASA have been enforcing 'black letter' CAO 40.1 requirements which conflict with both the AFM (see CAR 138) and a common sense approach to airborne EFATO exercises.

It is noteworthy that simulator based training had been recently introduced; and, conversely that Air North have safely, successfully conducted many 'in flight' simulated failures prior to the introduction of 'simulator' techniques. It is of concern that several things occurred which should give a check pilot the screaming heebie jeebies, airborne.

Perhaps we could ask of the ATSB to investigate 'in depth' the contributing factors to this situation occurring. We have the almost self evident facts of the accident, we have the why, but maybe it would be nice to know the wherefores.

P.S. Categorically not having a pot shot at the crew, the company or the simulator. Just seeking a satisfactory explanation of why and how this 'abnormal' chain of events occurred. If this was a new ME instructor and an initial twin conversion, perhaps this event may have occurred, but it wasn't – was it.