PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I stop flying?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2012, 21:15
AlexDeltaCharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Hannah222,

I'm in a similar situation- 17, nearly finished my PPL having flown for 18 months at an average of about two lessons per month earning it through part time weekend and evening work around A-Levels. I got through the first year and a half of studying all day and working a lot of evenings driven by my passion for flying, but since then I've had a real change of heart.

I found it frustrating to be spending so much money for so little time actually in the air, and although I never regret learning to fly I must confess that I've spent the last few days tinkering with an old non-running classic sports car I bought to restore with money I'd put aside for post-PPL flying. The money amounted to about six hours' flying in total. I suppose I needed an new hobby to help fill the other 99.8% of the month I didn't actually spend flying, but either way I'm pleased with my decision, even if it is perhaps an indication that I lack the strength of character to commit 100% to flying when the going gets tough.

I've digressed a bit here, but basically I'm trying to say that there are some of us who also understand the sheer effort it takes to pay for a PPL the 'hard way', and the fact you've got several jobs alongside studying is commendable. Keep going, see the PPL through and I'm sure you'll have demonstrated a huge commitment to, and passion for, aviation that will stand you in good stead with future applications!

Like you, I also ruled out uni, on financial grounds and being solely focussed on flying for a living but against all my previous plans my commercial flying plans are, for the time being, all but shelved and I'm going to be moving into halls of residence in September (subject to getting the grades that is!).

The media has done very well to sell papers and write headlines about the changes in the cost of university, but if you ask me it's still an excellent deal:

-You pay back nothing until you're earning >£21,000 per year, and stop paying whenever your income falls below that level.
-You pay back between £30 and £293 per month depending on your salary
-There really are more bursaries and grants floating around than you could shake a stick at

Compare it to the BBVA loan for an integrated flight training course with ~£1900 in 'legal expenses' and 'set up commission', not to mention monthly repayments in the region of £1000 regardless of your income, and university to me doesn't sound like a bad deal at all.

This is not to say you should go to university of course, that's your decision entirely and there's loads of advice and opinions about whether a degree is worthwhile in flying on PPRuNe and elsewhere, but rather that the cost of university shouldn't be the barrier the media and public opinion makes it out to be if you decide you want to go.

Either way, if you're making a university application, it's best to give it some though, put together a good personal statement and submit it. You never know if you might need it. In hindsight I rushed mine thinking it not to be something I'd ever use, did little research and ended up making some really daft decisions. Luckily I chose one good university and I'm really excited about going, even though a year ago I'd never have considered it.

Best of luck whatever you choose to do, and hope you get some more solo time soon!

Last edited by Jetdriver; 25th Jun 2012 at 00:36.