PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2012, 19:18
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DutchRoll
But the AF447 had possible difficulty of assessing the situation...
We will have to categorize the AF447 crew as having evolved into the new generation of automation dependent pilots, no matter what their original background was.

When things went ugly that night, their adrenaline meters pegged, and their ability to rationally analyze the situation departed. They didn't know where to go to find a handle on their situation. They didn't even have a clue where to start looking.

When you do not have an ability to scan and then rationally analyze what you are seeing, you had better have a stone simple tool to lead you out of the mess you are in or else you are lost. Perhaps the HUD is that tool. Not ever having had the use of one, I really can't offer a recommendation.

Originally Posted by Gums
The exchange pilots I flew with that went into SLUF's, Hornets or Tomcats will tell you that the HUD flight path marker and that horizon line were lifesavers.
I imagine so, but that AOA gage peek right after a night cat shot told me whether or not the catapult had done its job and whether I should fly or reach for the ejection handle.

For things with wings, you really need to know how well you are managing your alpha.