PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2012, 16:33
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mud,

My point, badly made I freely admit, was that the RAF haven't actually had any air to air combat experience since 1945, because their fighter aircraft haven't been able to get to many of the wars when the fighting was taking place. I know full well that RAF pilots have flown in some of them, but that wasn't the point I was making.

On the Falklands - yes, I am fully aware of the RAF pilots who flew down there. They flew RN jets, under RN command, and the RN were most grateful for their skills and contributions. I suppose that the RAF were quite grateful for the contribution the FAA made to the Battle of Britain, along with the Czechs and the Poles, but everyone who flew in that were part of the RAF.

I'm also fully aware of the conflicts that the RAF have made massive contributions to. I always take care to make that point and acknowledge their professionalism. But no air to air kills (or combat?) since 1945 is a fact.

Orca's post is fair and balanced. The RN has had RAF aircrew supporting it for as long as it has existed. I also think that the taxpayer has the right to expect capabilities to be delivered in the most effective way, and future maritime air power should benefit from and exploit the RAF's skills and capabilities.

Best Regards as ever,

Engines