PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRS in a twin
Thread: BRS in a twin
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2012, 16:10
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot DAR I only flew in Canada once from Goose bay to Bangor, In a Cirrus SR22, it was a flight of 4-5 hours and I recall the majority of the trip was very inhospitable terrain, trees, small swampy looking lakes, also I assume hundreds of miles from a road or town. In that type of trip I did feel my chances of survival were vastly improved with a chute in the event of an emergency landing.

Also generally speaking I think there is an attitude that poor pilots rely on the chute and are wimps , real pilots can handle off airport landings in their stride with their skill and superior skills. (Not directed at you or anyone else) but I do feel it is a Macho attitude I have seen often.

As a lowly PPL I just do not like to risk factor of attempting an off airfield landing, 75% - 85% of which may be OK, I prefer better odds when things randomly go wrong, usually at a bad time.

I flew for an hour or so PM today over the Kent countryside, There were many fields that look tempting but reminded myself of what my SOP is.