PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is WAAS Accuracy Superior To ILS?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2012, 15:32
Sillypeoples

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I think some guys get caught up in the terminology...we all know what a technical overlay is...technically they are the same approach with both approaches depicted.

In this case, it's just obvious that the GPS approach was built off of the VOR approach, being a straight in, they had to line up for a straight in, vs what is best for a circling approach. Given that both approaches have only a difference in inbound headings of ten degrees, its a given for me that if your on the GPS approach and lose the box at say 4k, why not have the inbound VOR radial dialed in as a back, for better situational awareness, as another way to depicts the MAP, then simply side step to the 293 inbound to 2880.

Other guys standing there stomping their feet that it's not an overlay, translates into the box going dead, they miss...but miss to what? They don't have a GPS signal?

Now I guess they should have thought about putting that VOR in as back up and having that approach chart out.

It's not the argument that is the problem...is the guys arguing a point that in the real world, if they lost the GPS they wouldn't know where the hell they were...not a problem if by themselves...but this is beyond stupid for the guys that carry people for a living. Food for thought.