PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRS in a twin
Thread: BRS in a twin
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2012, 12:58
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
As with a twin which has an extra engine that extra engine gives you more options. With more options comes more choices! With more choices comes the option to make more wrong choices the same with the chute!
Oh good statement! I'll be quoting this....

No, I have not taken training on the use of BRS, and I agree that more training is a fair approach to forming a qualified opinion. I don't envision myself flying a Cirrus anytime soon, but, you never know...

I ask myself though, with my possibly jaded attitude toward these systems, what would I do were I to be a guest passenger in such and aircraft, to a less experienced but Cirrus qualified pilot. It is obvious that that pilot and I would probably have quite different opinions on what constituted a good reason to pull the 'chute. The engine goes bang and stops at 2000 feet over mixed use land - the pilot starts to reach up.... I'd be saying whoa! Trim it for a glide, and let's have a good look around first... Similarly for other of the aforementioned failure modes.

We had a thread about "would you take over control?" a while back. I sure would be having that argument, before I allowed a lesser confident pilot pull the handle at a low risk threshold, and commit me to a very hard vertical landing which might not be necessary.

Change of survival is inversely proportional to angle of arrival

I'm not saying that there might not come a point where I would reach up too, but I suspect that my threshold for doing so would be very much higher than many pilots. You'd be amazed at what can be safely recovered and landed....

PPL in a spam can (me included)
Cirrus = "spam shell"?