PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Homophobia towards Cabin Crew
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2012, 12:29
TightSlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please spare us all the injured martyr stuff: It is tiresome.

Although the right to free speech is arguably being diminished (almost daily it sometimes seems) , it still exists. However, that does not give everybody the right to say anything about anybody - it never has. There are clear, and legal restrictions on free speech that bind us all. Just as straight people do not necessarily have the right to disparage or abuse gay people, or anybody else, gay people are bound by the same restrictions. It may suit your particular position to believe otherwise, or to believe that a balance has not been achieved, but that remains a matter of fine-tuning the legislation, rather than deleting it.

You may or may not understand what makes somebody attractive to somebody else - That part of the process is irrelevant. You're not required to understand, or even agree - You're simply required to treat your fellow human beings with the respect that they are entitled to (and both morally and legally, they are entitled to it).

It seems to me that we have a problem with terminology in this thread, and the two salient examples are not helping. Firstly, I wish that the word "Homophobia" had never been used. It is highly emotive label and is often used as shorthand for an entire range of experiences and attitudes: As so often, it involves a laziness of thought and expression and a failure to use language with precision. The use of the word guarantees an eventual descent into inflammatory and emotional discussion.

The second example would be the use of the phrase "Real Man": There is of course, no such thing, it is a subjective and meaningless phrase that carries the implication that those who do not fall into that category are in some way diminished i.e. Lesser or False Men. Once again, the lazy use of language in the discussion of an emotive subject leads us inexorably downwards.

For the record, here's where I stand...

I'm straight, but I find the company of excessively camp gay men occasionally tedious, just as I do the company of excessively butch gay women. I also find tedious the company of excessively straight men and women. In short, the people that I like the best are those who allow me to establish a normal social or work relationship with them such that their (and my) sexuality is irrelevant. I don't really refer to my sexual activities or preferences with anybody else, and rather expect that they do the same. Who we choose to fall in love with, or have sex with is not a "lifestyle" choice, it's a "shagging" choice - End of.