PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of VRPs by ATC
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2012, 10:09
dublinpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find that VRPs, especially unexpected ones, are nearly always used at the end of the flight, to get you into the circuit without too much fuss. May I kindly suggest that if you start updating the route in your GPS with the new VRPs, at this stage of the flight, you don't have your priorities straight?
BP your experience only matches mine at smaller airports, and then what you say is true.

However once you start to operate at larger airports this is not so true. When I used to regularly operate in/out of Dublin, we would typically have three seperate VRPs to use on the way. No problem for those of us very familar with the environs but for those who weren't a GPS was a godsend.

The airport would only be visible from the last one. And you wouldn't always get the same ones, and you could often be asked to hold before proceeding.

Even where I'm based now, we typically have to two two VRP's and if coming from the east, a number more.

You certainly don't want to lose your route when you still have a bit to go before the airport is visible.

Also VRP's are used not just for arrivals, but often for transits too. Again having them available in your GPS is a godsend, but the last thing you want to do is lose your route to get to them (by doing a direct to), or spend ages trying to program it, yet you do want the points added to your plan.

You are also likely to use more VRPs from further away, where you have to significant airports close to one another. You'll often have to transit one's airspace to get to the other.

Finally, you're conviently ignoring the issue so VRP's on departure too. Again, you don't want to have to do a "goto" at this point and lose your flight plan.

But in many way, I think we are actually agreeing on the centre point. Having to spend anything more than a few seconds to add the VRP to your flight plan isn't good.