PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRS in a twin
Thread: BRS in a twin
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2012, 07:09
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh dear, what have I written that leaves you with that impression? I'll be flying the plane to the ground/water no matter what
Pilot DAR I don't think you said anything as I was the one saying it was generally my preferred option. (which has changed over the years from stay in control and fly it to the ground)

I also stated at the outset that each to their own but I would ask Pilot DAR and this is not being a smart ass as you have many more hours and experience than I ever will have, but have you done any amount of hours on a BRS equipped aircraft or any training on the benefits?

I would argue that without an engine in a SEP you have in effect lost control of the aircraft and if you are lucky and very skilled will be able to land it in a random field that is reasonably good terrain.

If we took a cross section of average PPL's and put them in a genuine engine failure situation completely randomly, out of 100 how many would die attempting to land in what ever terrain was at their disposal?

I personally think a reasonable percentage but no statistics I am aware of exist to verify this.

Regarding Chute pulls I only have Cirrus numbers out of 33 that have been conducted within the operating limits there has been ZERO fatalities and these have been over Sea, Running Water, Towns, Forests, Mountains, Open Fields etc.

My mind has been firmly made up, I just hope in the heat of the moment I do follow through as many a an aircraft has ended up in a hole with dead pilots and families and a perfectly good chute intact.