PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRS in a twin
Thread: BRS in a twin
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2012, 01:19
Pilot DAR

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
DAR Pilot - he is the one who will pull the chute instead of attempting a forced landing
Oh dear, what have I written that leaves you with that impression? I'll be flying the plane to the ground/water no matter what. I had never received any training which told me that there was a point at which to give up flying, and pull a handle (other than the jump flying, where they presumed that I was no longer in the plane anyway).

Though I acknowledge a very few infrequent circumstances, where things line up, and pulling the 'chute would be a good idea, particularly for a non pilot occupant, I am not a supporter of the BRS as a design feature as a catch all safety feature. I agree with the suggestions that it fosters taking chances, and complacency.

I suggest that if every pilot who would willingly pay the initial and on going cost of the BRS, and the cost of the lesser utility of the BRS equipped aircraft, would instead devote that money to more and recurrent training as to how to not need the 'chute, we'd all be better off. That pilot would have better skills and decision making, for any type of aircraft they flew. Better to prevent completely, than to allow to happen, then mitigate maybe....