PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Performance-MEP1 takeoff climb data
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2002, 09:50
Keith.Williams.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stator,

You refer to the OATS manual, so I will do the same. In my copy of their Performance manual, the JAR OPS requirement is quoted at the bottom of page 10 - 5, and the 0.77 factor is used at the bottom of page 10 - 6 to adjust the gradient. This (unfortunately) isn't quite the way it is done in the CAP 698. This problem is not however unique to OATs. I have books from three other schools and none of them explain it properly!

I can understand your frustration, but this is one of the fundamental weaknesses of distance learning. It can only be overcome by contacting your school, preferably by telephone, whenever you have a problem. You can judge the quality of your school on the basis of the way they react to your calls. Most of them will react vey well, but if they don't, or if their explanations don't enable you to understand the subject, you should change schools.

In the case of Performance, you will be having an extremely bad day if your exam contains more than one question requiring the use of the CAP 698 graphs. You will however get questions about why particular graphs have this or other characteristic. Your school should be well aware of these questions and warn you of them during your consolidation course.

Sator,

In my copy of the Oxford Jeppesen manual, the JAR OPS requirement is quoted at the bottom of page 10 - 5, and the 0.77 factor is used at the bottom of page 10 - 6 to adjust the gradient. This (unfortunately) isn't quite the way it is done in the CAP 698. This problem is not however unique to OATs. I have books from three other schools and none of them explain it properly!

I can understand your frustrtaion, but this is one of the fundamental weaknesses of distance learning. It can only be overcome by contacting your school, preferably by telephone, whenever you have a problem. You can judge the quality of your school on the basis of the way they react to your calls.

In the case of Performance, you will be having an extremely bad day if your exam contains more than one question requiring the use of the CAP 698 graphs. You will however get questions about why particular graphs have this or other characteristic. Your school should be well aware of these questions and warn you of them during your consolidation course.