PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus... Why "Autothrust" and not "Autothrottles"
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 13:35
Natstrackalpha

Location: Not far from the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy in the Orion Arm.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Autothrust

The thrust levers on the A320 do not move in unison with thrust changes made by the autothrust system. the thrust levers are put into a detent for that part of the flight, at the required time. thereinafter, the thrust is controlled by the autothrust system with no movement of the thrust levers.

There is also a vaiable thrust position which is manually controlled by the pilot from idle thrust (notwithstanding revers idle and reverse thrust etc) and can be used as a normal thrust lever up to the point of CLB (Climb thrust) which is the default setting for all the autothrust commands. If left in a position short of CLB then the thrust in the engines will not increase beyond the thrust lever position however much the autothrust system wants it to be so. Effectively, the autothrust system controls thrust and not the levers.
We can guage and monitor the thrust required, avaialble or selected (by us or the machine) by monitoring the N1, N2, EGT, and Fuel Flow indications.
further "thrust" settings/detents are FLX/MCT (take your pick) TOGA, Idle (manual) Idle Reverse and full Reverse, not only but also, the whole thrust system is monitored by FADEC too, which provides protections and re-starts and therefore thrust settings will be contained within maximum parameters taking into consideration the sensors of FADEC including temperature and a whole lot more, no doubt.
Thrust management.

I would like to thank, my manager, my agent, my parents, but most of all my pet canary called Boeing.

Last edited by Natstrackalpha; 22nd Jun 2012 at 13:36.