PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRS in a twin
Thread: BRS in a twin
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 13:00
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
I know nothing of the sales of the SR22 or Corvalis, but I would be surprised to find that the availability of a parachute is a large factor in the purchase choice. But I could be wrong. Like other things in our society, people are being offered "more protection" with new systems and products on a regular basis. Some people find security in knowing that these are available. Some pilots will choose to carry such systems and products for every flight, accepting the weight and cost penalties in doing so. That is their choice, and I hope that they feel suitably secure, and don't complain about the cost.

I have found comfort over all these years of flying, considering the risks of flying, and preparing appropriately. These preparations might include: G meter, life jacket, floater/immersion suit, raft, parachute, night vision, survival kit, winter wear, extra GPU battery, extra fuel, or a second engine or amphibian (requires different plane). I choose the ones I need for a particular flight, I don't carry all of them for every flight. The odd time when up, I consider that I could have a more appropriate choice conditions considered, so I mitigate in other ways to keep things safe. Generally this is the choice to fly around an in hospidible feature, rather than over it!