PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Distracted crew let Q400 descend towards terrain
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 12:34
BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES

Location: the OFCR......and probably somewhere over China zzzzzzzz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A very nice video. It's interesting to see it was filmed in 97 and yet the same message is having to be consistently repeated. Every SESMA review carries the same messages, along with recurrent check debriefs/learning points to the respective fleets.

I still have my copy of "What's it doing now?" issued by my company. It highlighted the differences in errors due to lower SA as a result of flying the glass cockpit version of the 737 as opposed to the trabbie (200). Those in the steam powered version had far higher levels of SA. But the technology was supposed to make it the other way round. Still to this day aircraft automatics get miss managed, due to over dependence at critical times, and less critical. Pilots are more out of the loop than ever due to 'bean counter style' Flt ops/safety policies implemented by some training regimes and the likes. Fancier versions of NOTECHS have been issued since, yet the training, whilst invaluable, gets left behind by back side covering policies that aim to ridicule pilots for making mistakes when the automatics were available. Yet when distractions with automatics engaged lead to Loss of SA and resultant errors, more blame is placed on pilots for forgetting to FLY THE AIRCRAFT. An interesting modern day conundrum, but one that does little for safety.
Ultimately it is incumbent on companies and individual to keep skill levels up and awareness at all times. Appropriate support for development of these skills is vital. Without appropriate policies and training support, AIRMANSHIP IS LOST.

I have read with interest the thread where line captains complain about having to 'train/babysit' new ab-initio pilots on the line. The best place for them to hone their skills is on the aircraft! They require the right supporting manager(CAPTAIN) to help guide them. In time they become 'in tune' with the aircraft and far better pilots. The simulator is no airplane! But then a C152 or PA 34 is no dash 8/ airbus or 737!
More emphasis these days is placed at the ab-initio level on not being heads down reprogramming the box at bust times! ANC and PPP are the keys for priorities. But as one young lad a few years back remarked, post event, when I asked him what colour the van beside the runway was ( you have already guessed where his attention was) "I was so used to doing it on Flt sim when I was getting ready to do my training, I wanted to prove I could do it in the real thing". He learnt a big lesson that day, so did I.