PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan/ANA incident at NRT
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2012, 01:34
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The crew, the airline and indeed the wider industry should feel guilty. People have died many times in accidents in similar conditions because pilots are too scared to divert or too scared to carry extra fuel or too scared of the boss or think they are better than they really are.
If conditions were as per the ATIS, the METAR and several prior actual reports then this approach was conducted in contravention of company SOP’s, manufacturers SOP’s and common sense.
How about actually reading what someone wrote, i.e. me, about the conditions when they did land, rather than going off half-baked on your crusade to castigate the airline industry and this crew in particular. If people have died in conditions when this flight landed then it was almost certainly not as a result of the weather and your suggestion they should have diverted is so far beyond ridiculous that I wonder if you know the first thing about aviation.

The conditions early in the day were not particularly pleasant, as Gestapo has already said. However, as I have already said, the weather at 1300L (when this flight arrived) was really quite benign. Their crosswind component would have been in the region of 15 knots and the the windshear that you seem to be so concerned about was no more than +10/-5 due to mechanical turbulence, not the well-past typhoon. I KNOW this because I landed only around 1 hour before them and those were the conditions when I landed. The weather only got better after that. The conditions were as per the ATIS and METAR i.e. no concerns whatsoever and there was no contravention of any SOPs. Read what Dominican has written about ANA's dispatch policy and you'll also understand this crew would have not been worried about fuel etc.

I suggest before you accuse all and sundry of breaking rules and flying in unsuitable conditions you do your homework first, rather than relying on the reports of someone who landed hours beforehand.

Last edited by Fratemate; 22nd Jun 2012 at 01:38.