PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A question about evacuations
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2012, 23:57
Old 'Un

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was involved with CC training some time back, but remember that the evac "procedure" begins when pax are being allocated seats. Stable-looking (?), fit, healthy, 'sensible' pax are often selected to sit in the emergency evac rows.

Here the process divides into 2 streams: 1. Fore-warned emergency events (non-lock of MLG for example), or 2. The "Oh Hell!" event.

For Stream 1, the occupants of the emergency exits mid cabin and/or, in some cases/aircraft/airlines, the rear exit, the nearest 1 or 2 pax is/are briefed on operating the exit and asked if they are reasonably confident in being able to operate it. I understand that some airlines do this on every flight as a matter of course - not a silly idea.

There are any number of variations, but if it's a pre-warnable event and the a/c is still in the air, pax are briefed by the Cabin Manager (or equivalent) on what to expect and what they must and must not do. If time permits, CC check individual seat groups to make sure instructions have been understood and to answer questions, as well as to assure and calm pax.

Just before landing, "Brace, brace brace" from the front office on the p/a, followed by "Head down, stay down" chant from CC.

Here, both streams become pretty much common but a lot relies on the size and configuration of the a/c and the number of CC.

Once a/c is stopped and flight deck checks completed, "Evacuate, evacuate, evacuate" from the flight deck if deemed necessary, doors opened, slides deployed if appropriate, followed by shouted commands from the CC - "Come this way/Get out/Jump"

Then there's the after-match function of herding the pax to a safe point, etc.

Even in training there can be unfortunate accidents/incidents, such as slide burns, injuries from 'pax' getting over-exuberant and the like. We even had one occasion where a deplaned pax tripped off the end of a safety mat and smacked herself into the concrete floor. She was unconscious for about 2 or 3 mins, so ambos were called to see to her while trainers did the First Aid thing.

Sorry this is so lengthy, but I hope from it you'll get the idea that there are so many variables that it's almost impossible to say "This will happen, then this, then that." Best advice I can give is read and understand the safety information card in the a/c you're on, listen to/watch the preflight cabin briefing and follow the crew's instructions if the excrement hit the windmill. This will give you the best chance possible of survival if "the worst" happens.