PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRS in a twin
Thread: BRS in a twin
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2012, 22:48
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You also write you would use it in case of engine failure over green pastures - do I understand you correctly? Why is that? Now if you decide on the way down the approach to the field is not going well, fine, but if you glide nicely, why not land?
because imho what looks nice field at 1000ft can be a different story when inspected from the ground and the dangers of coming up short, hitting wires, tree stumps, ditches, gradients, water logged, rocks etc.

The Cirrus would be a worse aircraft to land in a field compared to say a Robin, due to its smaller wheels and relatively higher stall speed, 60 knots or so is a lot of energy to hit something or cart wheel.

Many people have successfully forced landed Cirrus just like any other aircraft but a reasonable percentage have failed with fatal consequences and they had a perfectly good chute that for ever reason they chose not to pull.

I appreciate this view may differ from 95% + of other readers and each to their own.

As I said my view has changed from thinking I would only use in the event of mid air or catastrophic failure etc to a serious consideration in the event of an off airfiled landing for whatever reason.

This thinking does take a certain change of attitude.

Last edited by 007helicopter; 21st Jun 2012 at 22:51.