PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 5
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 5
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2012, 20:24
GayFriendly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no-one seems to have explained why BA were able to fly daily BHX-MAD for many years all year round
Or why EZY make a go of it from LPL and BRS (I think in high summer its 2 x daily from LPL?) yet have just announced they are pulling MAN-MAD?

As for BA BHX-MAD, well I don't know why they managed year round ops but perhaps because the flight originated in (I think) EDI and the lack of no frills flights in those days from BRS, EMA, LPL, LTN which started to draw pax away from BHX could partly explain it. Remember that there was no BA-IB tie up in those days. IB operated BHX-MAD in their own right using MD81/87's although am not sure if both airlines operated it at the same time. Once no frills flights got established of course the high BA cost base spelt the end of routes like MAD, ATH, VIE etc from BHX

The only possible candidate other than IB would have been EZY but even they are closing their MAD base now, so really unless ZB have a go (I suppose it does fit into their new 'city' strategy) I can't see BHX-MAD operating at all for a long time to come