PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does it help to become a pilot?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2012, 20:18
2 Whites 2 Reds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alex.....

I qualified back in 2009 when flying jobs were not exactly in abundance. So, I applied to Thomson and ended up on a summer contract with them until I got a job working at a sim centre.

Having worked on the ramp for 6 months between my CPL and IR (to take a break from training, earn some cash and enjoy the outdoors for a few months), it seemed the next logical choice.

The TOM crew at my base were fantastic. Gave me lot's of time in the flight deck between sectors or for take off and landing where possible. And many hours sat in there when others were chatting while the pax were asleep on long night flights home.

I learnt a lot and had a great time. I could have gone back to a fairly lucrative accounting / finance job on a contract basis but chose to earn less than 1/3 of the money doing the trolley dolley thing to enhance the CV.

I can't recommend it highly enough. Let's face it, with only a few hundred hours in the log book, you need something to talk about at an interview other than the standard stuff. Showing that you're a well rounded individual who's seen a bit of life and thrown yourself into aviation won't do you any harm and trust me, it's a bloody good laugh although extremely hard work.

Having done all those little bits, I appreciate it when someone make me a coffee, I appreciate it when a loader grabs my bag out of the hold for me, and I appreciate sitting in my seat on the 757 in the knowledge that I worked my way up from the bottom.

Sorry if that sounds a bit mushy but having done it, I'm a huge fan of seeing all side's to an industry, not just the nice bit's.

As other's have said, Flight Op's, Crewing (although that really is a thankless job) will all benefit you in the long term. But in the short term, cabin crew is great fun!

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers

2W2R