PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan/ANA incident at NRT
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2012, 18:54
AnQrKa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys should all stand back and ponder the fact that a jet NEARLY came a cropper in a manner similar to the purple one, in similar conditions, at the same airport.

You can argue about windshear and sink rates speed excursions until the cows come home but this was a nasty bit of work.

The crew, the airline and indeed the wider industry should feel guilty. People have died many times in accidents in similar conditions because pilots are too scared to divert or too scared to carry extra fuel or too scared of the boss or think they are better than they really are.

There are extenuating circumstances of course, but it is not good enough to argue that the forecast changed and put the crew in a corner. This simply should not occur.

How much fuel did they have? How many options did they have?

If conditions were as per the ATIS, the METAR and several prior actual reports then this approach was conducted in contravention of company SOP’s, manufacturers SOP’s and common sense.

“The typhoon was supposed to last out only until 2300z initially but carried on for a couple of hours more than expected.”

You would have to be a lunatic to fuel plan a flight into a typhoon based on a forecast to within “a couple of hours”.

“Just a bad day I guess..With a decent ending.”

A broken aircraft is a decent ending? No, it was a LUCKY ending.

“You are telling me that every time you get a 15 KTS gust report you divert? Give me a break!”

According to Airbus in case of actual or suspected windshear you must “delay or divert”. Its fair to say that in the above situation, windshear was suspected. And the results proved it to be so. I suspect maybe the Boeing manual indicates something similar.

An jet is badly damaged and maybe written off and the response from some here is that its ok, nothing to see hear.

Crazy.