PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2012, 17:43
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd respectfully (and sadly) suggest that it's time for this thread to come to a natural end.

It's a free world and a free forum, so anyone can, of course, say what they like within the bounds of decency (and one would hope common courtesy) but we do seem to have fallen back into some fairly partisan and not very constructive exchanges from those who oppose the whole idea of carrier aviation, and those who support it. My thoughts, for what they are worth:

1. There's an endorsed need for two large and effective carriers - they have been a feature of the UK's defence planning since 1998 and they aren't going away. The Services now have the very big challenge of getting them into service and delivering the required capability. To quote others, 'dry your eyes and get with the plan.'

2. As an ex RN aviation professional I do sometimes find it a tad trying that members of Air Forces (who I always take care to complement on their professionalism and expertise) feel able to express a range of opinion, usually highly negative and occasionally downright hostile, on a subject they don't know very much about, namely naval aviation. I have to say that the more intelligent discussions I've had with RAF officers on the subject were with members of the SH community who have actually operated from ships. We often disagree, but at least it's an informed discussion we both learn from.

3. As an aircraft engineer and a taxpayer, I would gently point out that a Service which headed the procurement effort that resulted in the Tornado F3 is not exactly well placed to lecture anyone on the science and art of AD. The F3 cost the UK a bucketload of money, and was, for many years, quite simply ineffective as an AD aircraft outside the narrowest possible scenarios. Not the aircrews' fault in the least, but honest truth based on physics. I do, however, very much applaud the RAF's work in getting the Typhoon, which is a world class AD aircraft, into service. Eventually.

4. I would also (very gently) remind anyone of a naval persuasion posting here that the best way to make the case for naval aviation is to do just that - focus on the capability and how it is going to be managed, led and delivered from the largest warships ever built for the RN. After all, that is why the UK has bought the STOVL aircraft.

Best Regards as ever to all,

Engines