PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Watch the VSI- SIR!" A salutary lesson in instrument flying.
Old 21st Jun 2012, 10:42
CaptainInsaneO

Location: You know where the Opera House is? Well....no where near there.
Received 38 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree Wally,

I think the ASI is very important when it comes to night departures.

By the way people, somotogravic illusion doesn't only affect high performance aircraft, I distinctly remember a night I experienced it in a C152! I remember looking at the ASI thinking, the ASI is broken, it's over-reading, the AH is reading 7 degrees nose up correctly, then once I checked the VSI, I worked out I was descending. The AH was a little lazy though...(by the way, not the first 'distinctly rememberable' event of mine from a lazy AH!)

I have a fair whack of hours in the C310. They will climb at about 500 fpm at Vy and MTOW. But if they're taking off light, they'll initially get over 2000 fpm. This means big attitude differences depending on weight.

So a C310's climb attitude departing with a heap of fuel and a few footy players on board will be very different after you've burnt some fuel and unloaded your pax.

So how do you know what attitude you need for your night departure? Initially reference it to the ASI. You need to absolutely nail your nominated climb speed. Check the ASI, work out if you need to pitch up or down, then stare at your AH and pitch up or down as required. Then quickly look at the ASI, to see if the attitude is working to provide you with your nominated climb speed. Of course as part of this scan you need to check the DG and VSI.

I'm not trying to tell people how to suck eggs here, but I would hate to see somebody read all of these posts, then take-off at night, staring at the VSI and thinking this will stop them spearing in.