PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Blue A320 loses two hydraulic systems
Old 21st Jun 2012, 09:43
pitotheat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saint Ex. As a TRE on the 320 for many years it is a common misconception among even experienced Airbus pilots that the manual reversion is akin to that on the Boeing with a limited mechanical linkage to some of the flying controls. In the Airbus there is no such linkage. It may well be that some have landed in the sim with all hydraulic systems out. In my experience having performed this manouvre and observed it in the sim the success rate for a non catastrophic landing is around 5% in good weather. This obviously increases with practise. However, with limited "free play" sim time after completing all of the required items and the other "nice to practise" scenarios that most of us have, in my opinion, the average crew chance of a successful outcome will be very low. In the real world faced with a triple failure and having exhausted all other avenues to recover at least one system then clearly you would give it your best shot but this is very much the last resort option in the hope that you get the hull on the airport where the emergency services are and some will walk/stagger away. This was the reason for my earlier summary but I and most that I meet are just average operators so I still stand by my original post.