PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome Mk III
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2012, 08:25
Lordflasheart

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Source material ?

As a newcomer to Which Aerodrome, I was certainly under the impression that photos were acceptable from any source including private, on the basis of "If its an aerodrome – its an aerodrome " - unless you prefer to call it an airfield, or if there are not enough clues to identify a deceased aerodrome.

The only specific limitation I've seen was to edit out commercial references, though I saw a reasonable exhortation – not to post endless google earth overhead pictures.

I thoroughly enjoy the chase even though I rarely succeed and I wouldn't want to see excellent photos excluded because they were (or were not) not from a specific media source. I certainly hope to find the odd one or two from my own personal snaps or books.

So I wondered what led Tacklebury to make the comment he did – and I wondered if it was in reference to a particular picture.

It first occurred to me that it might have been my remark above - referring to the old Argosy "Blimey that's not much of an airfield ...." If I gave the impression from my remark that I was criticising that or any other challenge, I apologise profusely. Nothing could be further from the truth - I think that's a smashing challenge and even though I'm unlikely to get the answer, it won't stop me looking. Its just that in the olden days I was aeronautically predisposed to need 10,000 ft of concrete etc.

I did eventually realise that Mr T was referring to Benina – a photo apparently taken from a book.

Then I looked up my crib for posting pictures – culled from various PPRuNe sources and found the first sentence I'd copied -

"To post a picture on PPRuNe, it has to be on a website already - whether your own or someone else's. If it's not, all is not lost ...... "

So I wondered if the phrase I underlined above had been accidentally misinterpreted by Tacklebury - I read that instruction to mean – "you can't copy and paste a picture directly onto PPRuNe - you have to supply a website link" which can include – in my case, placing my challenge (from whatever source) in my own secured Photobucket album and following the instructions for posting the link on PPRuNe.

That is to say, I don't see any restriction that requires a Which Aerodrome challenge to be taken exclusively from the internet, nor do I see any restriction that specifically or even indirectly excludes private photos or stuff from books and the like. Respectfully, LFH