PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MRA.4
Thread: Nimrod MRA.4
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2012, 08:08
Biggus

Received 72 Likes on 33 Posts
Scuttled,

I don't want to get into a pi**ing contest, but would offer the following comments, observations and questions.

First of all we don't even know if we will get back into the manned aircraft game in the maritime role, let alone with what type of aircraft and crew size/compliment, etc. If we do, the AVM implied the decision certainly won't be made before 2015, more likely 2020, then there is the acquisition time etc. I think it fair to say nothing would be flying operationally before 2020 (if the decision was made in 2015) at the earliest, probably later (if the decision was made in 2020). The aircraft would then be expected to have a life of at least 25 years, meaning the fleet needs to be manned until at least 2045, probably longer.

I know there are still several hundred WSOs left in the RAF, some under 40. How many of them have maritime experience, and how many are currently not gainfully employed? I also believe that WSOs have been recruited exclusively under SSC terms for at least the last 5 years, maybe longer. Unless the RAF elects to offer PCs to some of these WSOs on SSCs (purely on the basis that a decision likely to be made in 2020 may create a need for them) then how many will still be around in 2020, let alone 2045. This only leaves your ever shrinking pool of serving to 55 WSOs to draw from, again, doesn't the RAF currently have other plans for them? Any WSO expected to be in service until 2045 has to be 22 or younger today, unless the RAF increases retirement age to 60. With WSO recruiting off the high street complete, there is no longer anyone coming in at the bottom.

So, for long term officer aircrew manning of any future maritime fleet, which won't stand up before 2020 at the earliest, the only options available are to re-instigate a trade, or internal commissioning from WSOp as you suggest. While we have no idea of size of fleet, or crew compliment, I would suggest that more than a trickle flow of NCA commissioning would be required, at least in the early days of the fleet when it first tries to stand up.

As to why we sent WSOs on seedcorn, apart from finding them something to do, and the fact that only they have recent expertise in certain roles, its no doubt because other nations wouldn't allow us to put NCA in certain seats on the aircraft.....

Another thing, why would the RAF need officer aircrew in the back end of any future MPA, good quality NCA should be capable of doing the job (which isn't meant to imply that all our NCA aren't good quality!!)....

Last edited by Biggus; 21st Jun 2012 at 08:18.