PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Irish Air Corp HEMS accident
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2012, 06:53
Lunar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank God nobody was hurt. Unfortunately though, I have to agree with most people who have commented so far and say that I have only ever been shocked by the level of experience of most Air Corps pilots.

I once visited Casement and was being shown around by a young Lieutenant, he was qualified on 135, he told me he had 90 hours on type, all in Dunneworth? How much did that cost the Irish taxpayer? He also told me it was his first Helicopter type, very nice machine for your first Heli.

Then the best bit, an Engineer I knew there offered to connect external power to the aircraft so we could look at the glass and the Lieutenant couldn't find the external power authorisation switch, it literally took him five minutes to get the power online, and then he couldn't seem to remember how to display the moving map.

To say I was unimpressed was a huge understatement. There are many very competent multi engine, IFR rated pilots from Ireland on this forum, all working abroad as there are no jobs at home and then the HSE and Air Corps create an MOU without ever opening a bid to a Commercial operator and try to do the job cheaply, using the best kit bought by the Irish People, with some of the lowest houred pilots it's not surprising that this is what happens.

It is true that landing in fields in Ireland is VERY risky as there are phone lines, electrical wires etc. often criss crossing nearly every field, but this was a clear day in summer and I have to wonder what will happen, as someone already mentioned, when the winter or crappy summers day is upon them. I know many who read this thread landed in those very fields for many years and never destroyed an aircraft.

Unfortunately, it is true that the IAA and AAIU are all full of Ex-Air Corps people and if true to form, they will blame the ESB for locating the wires in a dangerous position. The pilot will get a medal and promoted and the service will resume.

Lunar